What's The Great Pork Hackathon Series?
The 2021 Great Pork Hackathon Series aims to solve problems for the pork industry and create lasting code to improve private data flow and processes through open source interoperability. This series is hosted by Farm Foundation and the Open Ag Technology and Systems (OATS) Center as part of an ongoing effort to enhance the digital exchange of information in the pork industry, with the goal of creating a blueprint that can be used to improve data interoperability in all sectors of agriculture.
Who Should Participate?
"Interoperability" means working together, and we've designed this hackathon to do just that. We encourage people of all backgrounds to participate, from those who know pork (and can provide advice, ideas, and direction) and people who know code (and can help build apps, tools, and integrations).
What's the focus of Part 1: Shipping?
What began as an industry event storming session to identify pain points for people on the ground in the pork industry has grown into a great opportunity to help make things better for the community of people who "bring us the bacon." The event storming session identified opportunities for streamlined communications between farmer and processor during the shipping of pigs.
Part 1 of the Great Pork Hackathon Series will focus on modeling an "Advance Ship Notification" (ASN) API for pigs via the Trellis API Framework as a two-way, real-time communication channel coordinating a farmer shipping pigs, a trucker hauling pigs, and a processor receiving pigs. The hackathon will add tooling around the ASN (libraries, apps, and services), innovative additions to the ASN model to carry new data and certifications, and integrations into existing farmer and processor workflows.
What kind of preparation will there be?
In the days leading up to the event, OATS will provide tutorial videos and materials to help developers get acquainted with some of the existing tooling around Trellis and ASNs.
What makes this hackathon unique?
- The Great Pork Hackathon series is unique in several ways. It's a series of events rather than the usual one-and-done-pizza-and-beer-all-nighter gauntlet.
- Part 1: Shipping is focused on ASNs and will be primarily held during normal hours over the course of three days.
- This series is intended to culminate in functioning open source software and data models that are integrated into actual production systems for the pork industry.
- The prize is in the problem-solving. Of course, you'll learn new things, have fun with new people, and build your reputation as a great developer.
- What's done here could change all of ag. It's a critical piece of a larger effort to create a blueprint for improving data interoperability in all sectors of agriculture.
It's FREE to join